The Kiwanis Club of Denton, Texas was chartered December 6, 1921. It was for Christmas that same year that the charter members of the club organized an event at the Denton County Courthouse on the Square, which provided Christmas gifts for more than 400 needy children.
From that hopeful beginning, the scope of the Denton Kiwanis Club grew to include the founding of the Children’s Clinic in 1925. In recent years, the Clinic has served as many as 250 underprivileged children per year, providing medical, dental, and prescription care. In addition to the clinic, the club awards approximately $7,000 in scholarships each year and lends support to other organizations such as 4-H and the Boy Scouts as well as a service project that has been ongoing for 19 years, called “Reach Out and Read” that promotes reading to children beginning at a young age.